Friday, March 11, 2011

Welcome to my stroke recovery blog!

Let me introduce myself.  My name is Toni and in July of 2010 I had a stroke. At 57 years old it was quite the surprise to find myself hospitalized with something so serious.

For most of these last seven months, information about my stroke and recovery was pretty scant. I had a lot of symptoms that were very frightening, and no one knew much about them. Then, a few weeks ago while on the Internet, I happened upon a stroke survivor's blog. Contained in his daily entries, the author, my new friend Dean, provided (and continues to provide) shared circumstances and issues that were informational and even more important, comforting.  It was like heaven opened up and angels were singing :-)  I urge you to visit his blog where I feel certain you will find a wonderful source for your own recovery. His blog is called Dean's stroke musings, and you can find it at http://oc1dean.blogspot.com/

As for me... my purpose in blogging is to share my own experiences and ideas about healing. My most heartfelt desire is that you all come and share your comments, questions, and personal experiences. The most important thing I've learned so far is that this journey of healing does not come with a map or even a sanctioned guide. Though each one of them may be well educated and well-intentioned, no single doctor or therapist will be able to provide you with all the information and direction you will require.  You should know that your journey of stroke recovery, or that of your friend or loved one, will be mostly self-directed.  I would like us to take this trip together. Let's learn new things, try out the best ones, then come together and share our experiences.  As a group, we are certainly stronger and traveling together we definitely have the potential to reach that place of wellness.

I look forward to traveling with you all,

Toni

3 comments:

  1. Yeah! Yeah! Yeah! Hear Ye, Hear Ye, way to go Toni

    ReplyDelete
  2. Come on Toni, I don't walk on water. In fact right now I would sink like a rock after a few circles to the left. But yes, shared experiences and traveling together in this journey are needed. Especially at this time, 'No man or woman is an island'.
    Dean

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the invite to your blog, Toni!

    "Oysters"

    ReplyDelete